Cellini Craft Art Deco Aluminum Charger with Tile
A large aluminum charger in an Art Deco style containing a tile in a Moorish pattern from the Mosaic Tile Company of Zanesville Ohio. Nice planishing, or hammer marks, a leftover from the arts and Crafts era. The back has a linear mark "CELLINI CRAFT". Measures 17" in diameter and 1.5" deep. Dates to the 1930's. The condition is good with normal wear to the metal surface.
Cellini Craft started in 1914 in Evanston Illinois by Ernest Gerlach. He named his company after the Italian Renaissance goldsmith Benvenuta Cellini. Gerlack produced many prized silver products. The Depression hit his company as it did so many others and in 1934 Cellini Craft began using aluminum and calling it their Argental, silver-like, line. They used several marks, some with the letters MW the initials of Max Willie an East Coast distributor.