Northwestern Terra Cotta
Northwestern Terra Cotta Tile Plaque Classical Jasperware
Made at the Northwestern Terra Cotta Company of Chicago, IL. One of the finest manufacturers of decorative terra cotta in the Midwest. Beginning with Louis Sullivan, prominent Chicago architects like Frank Lloyd Wright, Daniel Burnham, and Albert Kahn had contracts with the company. Landmark Chicago buildings for which Northwestern supplied extensive decorative moldings were the Civic Opera House, the Chicago Theater, the Wrigley Building, and the Randolph Tower.
This plaque has a Greek classical theme, in Norweta's version of Wedgwood's jasperware of blue and ivory white. The white having a slight wash of color in the recesses to accentuate the details. Possible the Muse Euterpe (double flute) & the Muse Melpomene, theatrical mask & weapon.
It measures 15.75" x 12" x 1". The back has impressed marks "THE NORTHWESTERN TERRA COTTA COMPANY" and incised holes to insert wire for hanging. This tile came from an estate of an employee of the company and dates most likely to the early 1920's. The condition is very good but has a dark spot manufacturing flaw and a couple of shallow chips on the side.