Antique tile made in Tunisia in the early 20th Century with a Moorish design. During the 1920's building boom in California and other places constructing Spanish Revival architecture a high quality and reliable source of large quantities of tile couldn't be found locally but it was discovered that they could be found in Tunisia. When Santa Barbara was building its courthouse the architects used Tunisian tile. Measures approx 6" square and 1/2" thick. Truly hand made and decorated, the clay is a little warped in drying and there is a firing line on the surface. The back is covered in a wash of white mortar, which covers any makers mark, if any.